On Saturday, September 23rd, an open house will be held at location of The Old PA Pike during the day. Here, outdoor enthusiasts, members of the community and the public in general will get to see a portion of the path as it exists now as well as the planned direction it will head in the near future. Here are highlights of the day’s events:
- The event runs from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Restroom Facilities and Free Parking provided at the host location (Ramada Inn at 16637 Lincoln Hwy (Rte. 30) in Breezewood, PA east of the Route 70/30 intersections )
- There will be free Guided Bus Tours, leaving from the host location beginning at 10:00 AM and running every 30 minutes. Buses will take participants to the Sideling Hill Tunnel, drop them off and pick them up again at the tunnel site. The bus tour will include a brief lecture about the trail and the significant history related to the South Pennsylvania Railroad, Turnpike, etc.
- Lighting Demonstrations will be held at the Sideling Hill tunnel throughout the day and access to that location will be provided via the bus tours.
- An Open House Tent with the Master Plan and project boards for viewing, review and public comments, as well as public voting on options. Primary presentations will be given at 12:00 Noon and 2:00 PM, but there will be staff present throughout the day to review and answer questions
- Live Music will be performed by local artists, Tom Fix (10:00-11:30 AM) and Free Donuts (Kenny Fetterman & Michal Wiles, 12:00 Noon until 3:00 PM).
- A variety of Food Truck and Concessions, opening around 10:00 AM will be located at the host location in Breezewood and available until 4:00 PM.e
This event is made possible by volunteers who will help set-up, clean-up, serve as parking attendants, and staff the information desk, bus tours and tunnel lighting demonstrations.
When: Saturday, September 23, 2017
Time: 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Directions: Exit the (new) PA Turnpike at Breezewood and turn right onto Route 30 East; parking at 16637 US Route 30, Breezewood, PA (Former Ramada Inn location across from the Quality Inn).